U.S. Ambassador to Ankara Barrack: Israeli strikes are an unnecessary escalation
Washington, August 18 (Hibya) - U.S. Ambassador to Ankara Tom Barrack said Israel's airstrikes on Abu al-Duhur Air Base were an unnecessary escalation that did not contribute to regional stability. Barrack called for continued diplomatic dialogue to reduce tensions.
U.S. Ambassador to Ankara Tom Barrack issued a statement regarding Israel's airstrikes on Abu al-Duhur Air Base.
Barrack said the strikes had been confirmed, adding, “We are deeply concerned that they constitute an unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability.”
Barrack argued that the al-Sharaa government had not adopted an aggressive posture and did not maintain proxy forces. He said the government had repeatedly stated that it preferred to de-escalate tensions with Israel.
Barrack noted that the United States had hosted talks in the past to encourage diplomatic dialogue between the two countries and said it would continue to host such discussions in the future.
Barrack said lasting de-escalation agreements could be built through sustained dialogue with all relevant countries and actors.
Barrack said the United States continued to believe that restraint and engagement were a more constructive path and called on all sides to prioritize sensible dialogue over new military incidents.
British News Agency